Area Village Index
Bells Yew Green

Aldington
go back to the Previous Page

 

 
Advertising Rates - Free Business Listing
Our Whats On
Guides to the Area
Suggested Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
Hotels
Book your Hotel
VillageNet-i
HouseSales
Businesses(1)
Accomodation(1)
Amenities(84)

Other Pages
Local Attractions
History of the area
Reference to unusual objects
Famous People
Walks in our Area
Our Recipe Pages
 
VillageNet
Kent & Sussex Village name Derivation
For the villages and towns that VillageNet covers in Kent and East Sussex
these pages shows the origination or derivation of the place names.

Cade Street -to- Crowhurst
Cade Street In Anglo Saxon times it was known as Cattes Street (Cat Street - Roman Road), but this was changed to Cade Street in the 1700's as a memorial to Jack Cade.

Camber Camber was derived from the Anglo French Cambre (Room or chamber) that described the original Camber harbour, which was near Camber Castle on the opposite side of the Rother to the current village.

Catsfield Catsfield is possibly derived from Cats feld (The field of cats) probably unlikely, more likely it is from an Anglo Saxon called Catt's feld (The field of Catt). The Domesday book records it as Cedesfeld and Cedesfelle, later show Catesfeld an then Catsfield.

Chailey Chailey is derived from the Anglo Saxon Geac leah (cuckoo clearing) in the Domesday book of 1086 Cheagele and by the late sixteenth century Chayly.

Chalvington Chalvington is derived from the Anglo Saxon Cealfing tun (The farmstead of the calf people - cealfa is a calf), settled not long after the Saxon invasion of 477 . In the Domesday book it was known as Caveltone and Calvintone. by the late 1300's it had changed to Chalvyngton, and then to its present name.

Chelwood Gate Chelwood is probably derived from the Anglo Saxon Ceorl Worth (a countryman's land) probably meaning common ground as in available to all.

Chiddingly This village is a Saxon village one of the first to be settled by the Saxons probably after they took the old Roman fort at Pevensey in 491 AD.

Chiddingly is probably derived from Cetel(Kettle) ing(fort or stronghold) leagh(clearing) so it translates into 'The Kettle peoples fort in the clearing' possibly due to the iron available for manufacturing.

The place names ending in ing,inge or ings were usually found on higher ground, or in places which control strategic points, and appear to surround areas first settled by the Saxons.

Chiddingstone Legend has it that the name is derived from the sandstone outcrop found near the castle, where offenders were punished (chided). However as the village is quite ancient it is more likely that it is derived from the homestead of Cidda's family hence Chidding tun (see our Anglo Saxon history pages). It was recorded as Cidingstane in the twelfth century, and has now changed to Chiddingstone.

Chiddingstone Causeway Chiddingstone Causeway was probably the route across boggy ground from Chiddingstone to Sevenoaks .

Chiltington Chiltington

Clayton Clayton is an old Anglo Saxon name 'claeg tun' meaning 'clay settlement' it is likely that Clayton was a place for manufacturing pots etc

Colemans Hatch Colemans Hatch appears to be derived from the Coleman family of charcoal makers from Hartfield together with a gate(hatch) they used to access the Ashdown Forest to make their Charcoal. The family are recorded in Hartfield parish from the late 1200's.

Cooksbridge Cooksbridge is a fairly modern settlement, settled next to Cooke's bridge over a tributary of the river Ouse. The bridge was named from the Hamsey family of Coke who it is believed built the bridge in the early 1500's.

Coxheath The name is possibly derived from the fact that a large number of soldiers were garrisoned on the heath from 1776 for 40 years.

Cranbrook Cranbrook is derived from the Anglo Saxon Cran broc (a stream where the cranes are) The earliest record of the name is in the Domesday Monochorum of 1070 as Cranebroca.

Cripps Corner Cripps Corner it is believed that it was derived from the Abbot of Robertsbridge Abbey in 1332 who was Walter Krips, the Abbey owned the land in the area.

Crockham Hill Crockham Hill was named after an old chalk-pit the Anglo Saxon word crundel. It was recorded in the Domesday Monachorum as Crundala.

Cross in Hand The English Place Name Society gives the earliest reference to the village as Cruce Manus, the latin for Cross in Hand in 1547. The name is believed to be based on the legend that the Crusaders assembled here before sailing for the Holy Land from Rye to fight Saladin.

Crowborough Crowborough was part of the parish of Rotherfield until the 1880's, it was recorded as Crowbergh in the late fourteenth century. It was first recorded as Crowboro Hill in Speeds map of sussex 1610. The original Crowbergh is probably derived from Crow beorg (meaning crow's hill).

Crowhurst Crowhurst is probably derived from the Anglo Saxon Crohha hyrst (muddy wooded hill), it is mentioned as Croghyrste in 772 and Croherst in the Domesday book of 1086 .


Top of Page © VillageNet.co.uk 1998-2017
If you have any information, or comments on our site,
 please E-Mail info@villagenet.co.uk
since 1998

 
Buy or Sell your property here Why not advertise your event for free
Local Businesses
Ella Clarke
Battle Brewery
Richard Vobes
Tenderheart
Advertise in this space
format is a picture
200 x 150 pixels
With a link to your Website or Email address
for details Pricing Here
Simon The Pi Man bookstore