8oz (200g) Self Raising Flour
2oz (50g) Sugar
2oz (50g) Margarine
pinch of salt
1 flat teaspoon of ground mixed spice
2oz (50g) dried fruit
1/4 pint (125ml) milk
a little milk and a sprinkle of sugar to glaze
7 Sandwich Tin
1 Mixing Bowl
1. Preheat the oven to 220C (425F) and grease the sandwich tin.
2. Place the sifted flour, spice and salt into a bowl.
3. Rub in the fat until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the sugar.
5. Using a round-bladed knife stir in the milk and dried fruit,
and form the mixture into a dough.
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead well.
7. Form the dough into a round, and place it into a greased sandwich tin,
press it down evenly.
8. Score the scone into 8 slices
9. Brush with milk, and sprinkle with sugar.
10. Place in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
11. Cool on a wire tray.
Cut the scone into 8 slices, and eat by itself or with butter.