stocks Mill was believed
to have been built in 1781 in its present
location, and its first owner was Thomas Venus. A
local resident Mr Kenneth Ascott has compiled a
list of owners, occupiers and millers, by
researching a wide range of local information.
For 120 years the mill was operated by a number of
millers, but towards the end of the 1800's the
demand for locally produced flour declined due to
competition from the factory ground product.
This type of mill was able to produce up to 15
horsepower kW in a stiff breeze, and would
have been able to run with wind speeds of about
12 - 15 mph.
The mill has been restored by a number of owners, is now owned by Kent County Council,
and is visitable by the general public.
The mill is open on Sundays 2.30pm to 5.00pm from May to September,
and also Easter Sunday and All Bank Holidays