Hastings Ore in East Sussex

Google map showing area surrounding Hastings Ore
(Iron and the Turnpike)
Location: 50.869976,0.608389
General Details
It is probable that the area around Ore was one that the Romans used for iron working as a number of bloomeries have been found in the area A Roman road to Beauport at Battle, the main villa in the area has been uncovered.

There are windmills mentioned as being at Ore the first is mentioned in the will of John de Ore in 1361. During the 1800's two mills are known about the Black Mill (probably because it was coated in tar) and the second the White Mill which was built in the early 1850's. The Black Mill was burned down in 1900 on May 16th.

The Flimwell to Hastings turnpike was built between Ore and Battle along the Ridge in the early 1750's to provide a reasonable road inland. This route was used till 1836 when a new turnpike was built from St Leonards up Bohemia road to join the Battle to Ore turnpike near to the present day roundabout.

In 1836 on Christmas Day, the mail coach from London was caught in a severe snowstorm, it overturned and took 40 men to dig it out. During this time Hastings was cut off for 5 days and on December 27th 5 men walked to Battle about 5 miles, but it took them 9 hours, the storm must have been severe.

In the mid 1700's a small theatre was housed in some outbuildings of the Hare and Hounds public house in Ore , about 1 and 1/2 miles from the town. The Hastings Corporation refused to have a theatre in the town's jurisdiction until 1825, and Ore was located just outside of the Corporations reach. The Hastings & St Leonards Harriers formed in the 1830's met regularly at Ore pasonage to hunt foxes, hare and badgers. These animals were quite often caged and then released some time before the hunt left.
The views across towards Rye and Winchelsea to the East are very pretty, with the road taking a steep dive down towards the village of Guestling .

The views over towards Westfield and the hills where Brede and Broad Oak Brede can be found are very impressive from the top of the hill.
Ore is a very busy part of Hastings now with many shops and housing estates.

The Rye road has a Super Store with the Secondary School further up the road.
Hastings Ore is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Village= Town= Recorded in Domesday=
Battle (William the Conqueror prevails)6.38 miles
Crowhurst (Village devastated by the Normans)
4.87 miles
Fairlight (Firehills and Views)
2.25 miles
Guestling (Changing guards at Buckingham Palace)
2.47 miles
Hastings Bulverhythe (Landing place of the citizens)3.93 miles
Hastings East Cliff (Beautiful Views and peaceful Walks)0.33 miles
Hastings Old Town (The ancient Cinque Port)1.16 miles
Hastings Sea Front (Modern amusements,pier and promenade)3.19 miles
St Leonards on Sea (an Edwardian family's gentile resort)2.64 miles
Icklesham (Paul McCartney's Recording Studio)4.31 miles
Old Winchelsea (Abandoned after the Great Storm)6.38 miles
Pett (End of the Royal Military Canal)3.00 miles
Westfield (Bonfire Boys under suspicion)
3.04 miles
Winchelsea (Inland Cinque Port !!)5.86 miles
Winchelsea Beach (Holidaymakers and Henry VIIIs Fort)5.99 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2024
Local Interest
Just click an image
Hastings Rock the place to listen to
Wealden Iron Research Group
The Rudes as lots of people call us, are an outdoor touring theatre company specialising in taking new & original theatre to mainly small rural communities and a few towns across the South of England. We were founded in 1998 & first toured in the Summer of 1999. Currently we tour only in the summer performing 50+ times nightly during June, July & August.
Talk in Code fabulous new Album
The Bald Explorer for local documentaries
World War 2 Vehicle database
Hastings Area Archaeological Research Group
Battle Museum of Local History
(Hard to find but worth the Visit)
For all things mosaic, commissions workshops etc please contact Hannah
Wadhurst History Society
Battle and District Historical Society