Withyham in East Sussex

Google map showing area surrounding Withyham
(De La Warrs and Sackvilles)
Location: 51.101066,0.134318
General Details
Withyham in East Sussex is a small village lying to the north of Crowborough and between Groombridge and Hartfield .

The village was probably founded for the workers on the Buckhurst estate which lies behind the church.

The De La Warr family have owned Buckhurst for many centuries and are a branch of the Sackville family and also held the position of Earl and Countess of Dorset. In 1356 at the Battle of Poitiers a knight from Laughton Sir John Pelham together with Sir Roger De La Warr captured Jean the King of France. In 1660 a huge thunderbolt hit the church and the blast melted the bells and destroyed the Dorsets monument and badly damaged the church.

By 1672 the church had been rebuilt and was back in use and a sundial was placed over the porch commemorating the re-opening.

In 1680 the Sackville Chapel was built within the church and contains many monuments to the family.

In 1962 Vita Sackville West, the author who rebuilt the gardens at Sissinghurst , died and her ashes were placed in the Sackville family crypt in Withyham church.
The view from the church across Buckhurst Park is very beautiful and is very peaceful.

The village itself has a duck pond and a few houses and is quite attractive, but very small.
The village has a public house and the church, and other services can be obtained from Crowborough about 3 miles to the south.

The main shopping centre is Crowborough and also Royal Tunbridge Wells about 8 miles to the east.

Trains run from Crowborough and Tunbridge Wells , however the Tunbridge Wells service is more frequent.
Withyham is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Village= Town= Recorded in Domesday=
Ashurst (Miraculous Carving)2.20 miles
Blackham (Roughs and Prize Fighters)2.41 miles
Chelwood Gate The Forest entrance and President Kennedy6.08 miles
Colemans Hatch (Church on the edge of the forest)3.06 miles
Crowborough (The home of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)3.12 miles
Eridge Green (The home of the Neville Family)3.88 miles
Fordcombe (Paper Mill and the Field Marshal)3.44 miles
Forest Row (The Kings hunting party)4.42 miles
Frant (King Johns hunting lodge)5.96 miles
Groombridge (Home of the Groombridge Gang)2.39 miles
Hartfield (A.A.Milne and Winnie-the-Pooh)
1.00 miles
Langton Green (Modern village and Old Quarry)4.04 miles
Mark Cross (Policeman arrests eccentric landowner)6.09 miles
Rotherfield (Source of the rivers Rother and Uck)
5.33 miles
Rusthall (The Toad Rock)4.81 miles
Speldhurst (Nobleman captured at Agincourt)5.06 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2024
Local Interest
Just click an image
Wealden Iron Research Group
Hastings Rock the place to listen to
World War 2 Vehicle database
Battle Museum of Local History
(Hard to find but worth the Visit)
The Rudes as lots of people call us, are an outdoor touring theatre company specialising in taking new & original theatre to mainly small rural communities and a few towns across the South of England. We were founded in 1998 & first toured in the Summer of 1999. Currently we tour only in the summer performing 50+ times nightly during June, July & August.
Ninfield History Group
Battle and District Historical Society
The Bald Explorer for local documentaries
For all things mosaic, commissions workshops etc please contact Hannah
Hastings Area Archaeological Research Group
Roman, Saxon and Norman History of the South East