The first Sir John Gage took over the manor of Firle when
his wife's father Sir Thomas St Clere died in 1446.
The family continued in the local manors until 1479 when
the second Sir John Gage was born. He was made a ward of
the Duke of Buckingham when his father died in 1497.
This Sir John was brought up for the court, and in 1513
accompanied Henry VIII on his expedition to France.
Because of his prowess in Battle he was appointed
Vice-Chamberlain to the King. Sir John built much of
the Tudor features of Firle Place.